PARALLEL PLANETS
HAS MOVED.



We are now found on parallelplanets.com.


Shonen Knife in Aural Audibles: Overdrive

A Parallel Planets piece by Tomi Uysingco

Parallel Planets presents Shonen Knife
in Aural Audibles Series: Overdrive
Music Review by Tomi Uysingco

Mentioned: '70s hard rock, pop weirdness, and indecent band analogies

* * *

I've been slacking. A lot has happened with my life the past few weeks and months that has found me binge drinking 24/7 that its not even funny anymore. Everything is pretty much in shambles and I've been neglecting a lot of stuff. Its all debauched rock and roll really, with endless brewskies, clouds of weed smoke and loud music – saying Shonen Knife's 19th studio album, Overdrive, came at the most opportune moment would be an understatement: this is the soundtrack to my life at the moment.

Waking up from a drunken stupor, I checked my email while my head was still pounding. I was surprised to see that there was this one email that stood out from the usual crapstacular “Enlarge your penis!” spam mail that's filling my inbox like stupid. It was from Earshot Media, a music and lifestyle PR company. The email contained Shonen Knife's yet to be released new album and it got me so stoked that I immediately smoked a bowl and listened to the record.

That was the best idea I had and it didn't disappoint.

Granted that was a few weeks ago and I'm just finding time now to post about it is totally my fault, but also partly the band's because I just haven't stopped listening to the goddamn record. And smoking bowls.


After 30 years in the game and 19 albums under their belts, Shonen Knife just won't stop shitting out hits. Not just yet. Everyone should know them as the gift that keeps on giving. Still fresh and on their toes, Overdrive finds the girls at their most rock and roll to date.

From the very first lick off Naoko Yamano's guitar, Ritsuko Taneda's rumbling bass to the last drum hit from Emi Morimoto, this new record is sure as hell gonna beat you down the kawaii-est way possible. A mixed bag of '70s inspired hard rock filtered with Shonen Knife's staple pop weirdness and quirks, Overdrive oozes out raw rockers (Bad Luck Song, Robot From Hell) to food inspired indie jams (Ramen Rock, Fortune Cookie). If the dudes in Deep Purple and Thin Lizzy slept with a Japanese school girl at a tucked away ramen joint that serves the best miso ramen ever while Black Sabbath blares in the background, and that baby grew up as friends-slash-fuck buddy of Yura Yura Teikoku and Cibo Matto, this would be that record. Totally not even exaggerating, swear to blog.

It's hard to pick a favorite track out of all the gems in Overdrive. Gun to head though, I would pick their song Black Crow. Its dirge like rumble reminiscent of the stoner rock days of yore fits snugly in my state of mind as of the moment – menacing, angry and hella stoned as fuck. It is by no means a the stand out track on the record, that is reserved for Shopping or Like a Cat, two of the catchiest songs in the album that would surely make anyone's head bob.

Their album dropped in North America on April 15 under Good Charamel Records. Now, as I smoke gross tasting cigarettes and smell of malt liquor from the night before, I listen to Overdrive yet again. I'll probably listen to it again after this and light another spliff. I want it to go on forever. Do yourself a favor, buy the album and get stuck like I am, because misery may love company, but rock and roll is forever.



More from Shonen Knife 

0 comments:

Post a Comment


Disclaimer: In lieu with Parallel Planets' general aesthetics, almost all images found on this website appear in black & white. Hover on them to view the original versions and click them to see in high resolutions. All media files solely belong to their respective artists, some of which are exclusive for Parallel Planets only. If you wish to use any of these, please contact the author or artist first. Thank you!
 
FacebookInstagramTwitter

info@parallelplanets.com
Posts are hidden on the main page, but everything we published from 2013 to 2015 are still intact. Use the button below to find what you're looking for.