PARALLEL PLANETS
HAS MOVED.



We are now found on parallelplanets.com.


Left.: A Sound of Their Own

A Parallel Planets piece by Michelle Rae

Parallel Planets presents Left.
in A Sound of Their Own
Story and Interview by Michelle Rae Uy

Mentioned: electronic music, ethereal vocals, and creating something fresh

* * *

I first heard of Aussie band Left. about a month and a half ago, right before they went to radio in the US. I was passing a hallway when I overheard Los Angeles-based radio promoters James Holland and John Dance discussing the band's sound in earnest as they listened to their first EP, particularly the second track on it called Slow Knife. Before I could stop myself, I chimed in on the conversation, unwittingly and amateurishly blurting out, “Hey, this sounds like Little Boots!”

To my pleasant surprise, Dance agreed with enthusiasm. “Yes, that’s who I was thinking of.” He then proceeded to say that they also remind him of '90s British trip-hop band, Sneaker Pimps, a band whose name I haven’t heard since, well, the '90s. Holland, on the other hand, made the argument that to him, Left. sounded more like the Canadian dream pop band Purity Ring.

I couldn’t think of an answer to that, the amateur that I am, except perhaps a blundering "Yeah, I can see that..." so I let them continue on with their discussion, which I figured was more knowledgeable than when I got involved, while I silently, albeit just a little bit smugly, continued on my way.

This scenario has been played out so many times before, not only in real life but also in books and movies. It has become common, customary and generally acceptable for people, not excluding critics and journalists, to name-drop existing artists and pieces of art to describe new artists and new pieces of art just as we did. This much is true.

Left.

Left., however, is what Left. is and it has, undeniably, a sound that is its own. And that sound is not only catchy as hell but also simply downright irresistible.

Left. is a collaborative effort between guitarist Jono Graham of Made in Japan and vocalist Sarah Corry. They have emerged from Sydney, joining the ranks of MNDR, Grimes, and CHVCHES, at the right time, when electronic music is no longer widely confined in clubs and parties but could now be enjoyed in the comforts of our own beds on a lazy Sunday afternoon.

Left.

Heavily influenced by Seekae, Mount Kimbie, and Gold Panda, Graham cleverly fuses electronic music with elements of classical, pop, and hip hop music to create catchy yet ambient melodies while Sarah brilliantly combines her stories of woe with her ethereal voice to set the overall mood of their songs. As if that isn’t enough, the duo enlists the engineering talents of hip hop producer Adit Gauchan in the studio.

Together, they are creating a sound that is not only fresh but also pushes the envelope in an industry where there is hardly anything new anymore. In this, I believe, they have succeeded. And the resulting effect is a collection of hauntingly dreamy songs that leaves listeners in awe, wanting for more.



Left. is due to release their full length album soon. In the meantime, they just released a cover of Destiny's Child's "Girl". Download it here for free!

To know more about Left., their style, and their influences, continue on to my interview with them.

* * * 



Parallel Planets: Tell something about Left. as a band and how this project started.

Left.: "We’ve known each other for quite a while. Jono is an epic guitarist and started writing a lot of new electronic material in his bedroom, and he sent me about 15 songs to check out. I was really looking for a creative outlet to write music to, and the music just sparked a writing frenzy. I wrote to most of the songs within a couple of weeks, and we’re continuing to write now while the album is being mixed and mastered!"

Parallel Planets: When/How did your inclination to making music begin?

Left.: "I’ve been singing my whole life, so start to write came really naturally. Jono’s music also made it a lot easier too; we’ve always been on a very similar page (mostly), which is good!"

Parallel Planets: What defines your artistic style? What are your “trademarks”?

Left.: "Our style is quite hard to pin down I think. It’s dreamy and ambient but has moments that are a bit dance and experimental, lots of interesting rhythmic patterns and use of different media. We haven’t really discussed or considered what ‘style’ we have, it’s just kind of fallen together like this."



Parallel Planets: What influences your work? Who inspires you?

Left.: "We bring different influences to the table. For me, as a vocalist, I am very much influenced by the incredibly technique of jazz singers like Dinah Washington and Billie Holiday, but I am also into new female artists like Laura Mvula and Yukimi Nagano from Little Dragon. Jono is into Gold Panda, Mount Kimbie, we both really enjoy Atoms for Peace and Ametsub too. We also listen to a lot of hip hop.

Sad songs tend to inspire me a lot. I know that’s not uncommon, but I think that can be heard in our music – there is a little bit of anger and sadness in our music somehow."


Parallel Planets: What is your mantra in life?

Left.: "I can’t say I/we have one. We are always talking about moving forward with our music and what’s next though, that’s kind of similar, right?!"

Parallel Planets: "Aside from music, do any of you pursue other creative outlets. Tell me more about them.

Left.: "Jono is a teacher, which I would say involves a lot of creativity!"

Parallel Planets: Mention three of your favorite things.

Left.: "Peanut butter, hummus, and HBO."

Parallel Planets: In your opinion, what’s the best part about being in a band?

Left.: "The moment when you write something you know is going to be awesome!"

Parallel Planets: What project(s) are you currently working on? Are you planning on releasing an LP soon?

Left.: "We’re working on our first album, which is at the mixing and mastering stage right now. We’re going to start gigging around Australia soon too which is really exciting and the reason we made the music in the first time – to create something really great live."



Parallel Planets: In this planet that we're thriving in— 

What is your power animal? "I guess a lion because I have red hair and I'm a pretty proud person."

Who is your alternate ego? "I have no idea! I've never thought about that before. Maybe Beyonce. But that's mostly just because I wish I was her."

Parallel Planets: In an alternate universe where Left. does not exist— 

What will your name be? "If Left. didn't exist, my name would be Carer Sorry."

What do you think you would be doing instead? "I would still be singing, I hope!"

More from Left.

0 comments:

Post a Comment


Disclaimer: In lieu with Parallel Planets' general aesthetics, almost all images found on this website appear in black & white. Hover on them to view the original versions and click them to see in high resolutions. All media files solely belong to their respective artists, some of which are exclusive for Parallel Planets only. If you wish to use any of these, please contact the author or artist first. Thank you!
 
FacebookInstagramTwitter

info@parallelplanets.com
Posts are hidden on the main page, but everything we published from 2013 to 2015 are still intact. Use the button below to find what you're looking for.