PARALLEL PLANETS
HAS MOVED.



We are now found on parallelplanets.com.


Tracy V. Moore: Earthy Creations

A Parallel Planets piece by Michelle Rae

Parallel Planets presents Tracy V. Moore
in Earthy Creations
Story and Interview by Michelle Rae Uy

Mentioned: journal art, inspirations from nature, and art romps

* * *

It is fair to say, if we were truly honest with ourselves, that in our lifetimes and in this world of 7 billion, we rarely come across people who are, completely and irrevocably, true human beings. By “human beings”, of course, I mean not in a scientific or tangible sense but in a more spiritual and mental sense.

It is also fair to say, since such creatures are so rare, that if we happen to actually come across one, we would consider ourselves lucky to have spent even just a few minutes with that person, to be affected and moved by that person.

Earlier this year, on a cold gray day in Seattle in the hip area of Ballard, while the American Northwest was still recovering from the harshness of winter, I became one of the lucky ones.

I initially met Tracy V. Moore, as with many of our encounters in this digital age, online. I met him through Lomography. We didn’t really communicate much back then, neither of us too fond of sending eletronic messages, but I was already a fan of double exposure shots and his “doodles” – as he ever so humbly calls them – that he sometimes shares on his Lomography home.

illustration by Tracy V. Moore
illustration by Tracy V. Moore

When I found myself heading up to Seattle for the first time, I naturally asked, nay demanded, to meet. And ever the generous person that he is, not only did he comply and treated me to some amazing Thai cuisine, he also organized a photo walk so that I could meet fellow film photographers based in the area. I can honestly say that I am now a few friends richer because of him.

Primarily based in Issaquah, WA, a suburb near Seattle, Tracy is perhaps the epitome of what it is to be human. He is honest, open, and kind, yes; but he is also unfailingly unselfish to everybody and unequivocally optimistic, always and instictively choosing to see the good in everyone and everything.  And there’s so much positive energy radiating from him that he just draws people to him, without even trying. He would just be sitting in a bar, doing what he normally does, and he would make 10 new friends before the night is over.

And just when you think he couldn’t get any more amazing, he reveals himself to be a very talented, very inspired artist; his weapons of choice leather strips, metal scraps from old things like broken cameras and discarded signs, and a collection of pens strategically stuffed like sardines in an old pencil case.

Drawing inspirations from the massive art installation that is nature itself and from the people around him (one of his favorite pasttimes is to people-watch), Tracy’s one-of-a-kind journal creations and journal art are full of earthy themes and colors as well as alien-looking characters that look like they’re half-organic living beings, half-machines. His “doodles” are decorated with words and phrases that reveal not only schematics for future creations but also his most intimate thoughts. Each of his creations, therefore, reveal a glimpse of the man himself.

journals by Tracy V. Moore

Read on to my interview with Tracy V. Moore and find out more about his amazing creations, how he likes to share his art and techniques with anybody who would listen, and who his alternate ego would be in a parallel universe.

* * *

Parallel Planets: First, describe to us what exactly it is that you do. What do you call it?

Tracy V. Moore: "Using metal, found objects, and leather, I make one of a kind books and fill them up with doodles, daily journal entries, and fantasy.  As often as I can, I also try and meet interesting people and get them to add a piece of their creativity to my journal."

Parallel Planets: Tell something about Tracy V Moore as an artist and before you became one.

Tracy V. Moore: "As an artist, I wish I could create more. However, I made a commitment years ago to provide financially for my family, and as such, my art is relegated to the times in-between work and home projects. I will say however, that until the recession hit a few years ago, I had always kept my art and my business separated from each other.  As the recession ground me down, I began bringing my art (my journals) into business meetings and was pleasantly surprised at how many of my associates reacted positively to my art. I found that almost everyone I met also had some “secret” creative outlet that they practiced. By melding my art and my work… I ended up making great new contacts that helped me survive and then thrive through the rest of the recession.

Before I became one, I wanted to be one. Growing up, it seemed that I was surrounded by people who could draw or create wonderful things with ease. It intimidated me and kept me from seeing even the possibility of becoming an artist."

Parallel Planets: When/How did your inclination with this art begin?

Tracy V. Moore: "In high school, my two best friends were artists. Amazing, draw anything they wanted to, artists, and I was always too intimidated to even try to be one. Woodworking and music were my two artistic outlets. I married my high school sweetheart who was and is an amazing power house of an artist. We were married at 18 and soon after, she started learning how to book bind and make handmade books.

At this time, I had started writing short stories and pursuing writing as my art. My wife gave me one of her beautiful books to aid me in my writing endeavors. It sat on my shelf for a year. I couldn’t bring myself to defile it with my handwriting, let alone try and draw in it. She finally told me that if I didn’t use the journal, she was going to take it back. I started drawing and doodling in it…privately, for a year. One day she was looking through it, and said “Wow, you have some great things in here.” My wife never says anything she doesn’t mean, and these words meant the world to me. We turned those original drawings and doodles into rubber stamp designs and started our quirky company Zettiology Rubber Stamps & Mythos. This company allowed me to bring a bit of my fantasy writing into my new found love of drawing."

Parallel Planets: What defines your artistic style? What are your “trademarks”?

Tracy V. Moore: "My trademarks for my metal journals, would be substance, durability, and design.  At least that is what I hope they would be. I like making each one absolutely unique. I also pride myself in the fact that they are completely usable (they open easily and lay flat and contain the highest quality paper available.) I construct them to last. You could literally run one over with your car and they, while possibly slightly bent, would pop right up and perform as designed.

I’m not sure my “inside the journal art” has any real trademarks. Possibly; doodling, freedom, and fun? Not sure really. I tend not to think about it too much, as that alone can stymie the process of playing without rules when I open the journal up."

journal by Tracy V. Moore

Parallel Planets: What influences your work? Who inspires you?

Tracy V. Moore: "I’m greatly influence by nature. Seeing natural rock formations and trees really inspires me a lot. Although it would be hard to see their influences in my art. It is more of that they inspire me to create in general. Early on, I was influenced greatly by ancient art; Egyptian, Cycladic, Mayan, etc. When I was started drawing, I realized that I was stressing out by feeling like I couldn’t draw things like hands, eyes, and other features realistically.

Then I noticed that these ancient art forms like Cycladic figures and Easter Island Heads, had either no features… or at the most, very rudimentary features shown simply as lines or dots.  I thought, wow, these art forms have survived thousands of years and they didn’t let things like detail and accuracy stop them. So my early drawings were very much inspired by the simplicity of these ancient artists.

Who inspires me now?  My wife, Teesha Moore, is constantly inventing, changing, and creating. She is literally the fuel for the creative engine inside me. My friend, Theo Ellsworth, inspires me not only by his incredible art, but also with his gentle spirit in life. He also has found a way to meld the fantastical world that he draws, into the reality around him. I am in awe of this power."

Parallel Planets: You hold these art retreats that you call Art Romps and workshops for others who are interested in this craft. What made you decide to do them and what’s the best part about them? 

Tracy V. Moore:  "The art retreats are a way we can spread creativity. We hold everything from 8 person, week long retreats at our studio, to 650 person retreats on the Olympic Peninsula. These retreats came out of a progression from owning a small rubber “art” stamp company and doing trade shows where we held two hour classes in everything from “how to use our stamps,” “jewellery techniques,” to “book binding.”

photo from Tracy V. Moore

We wanted to put on our own convention here in the Northwest, and what started as a “Trade Convention” of art related companies, we morphed into a four day retreat with the focus on art related classes and the “Trade Convention” became much more of a side note. We found a large tribe of people who wanted and needed to spend time together learning, and soaking in the creative atmosphere that naturally grows out of the gathering of so many artistic souls in one spot. The best part about the retreats for me, is meeting so many wonderful people and having the chance to create with them."

photo from Tracy V. Moore

Parallel Planets: What is your mantra in life?

Tracy V. Moore: "Wisdom, strength, focus, and fun. (I know it sounds silly…but I really do recite those four words every morning while I am in the shower.)"

Parallel Planets: Aside from journalling and creating these unique amazing journals, I found out that you are also into photography. Tell more about this other creative pursuit of yours.

Tracy V. Moore: "Way back around 1990 sometime, my wife bought me what she referred to as a “Spy Camera.” It was something she saw in a magazine and she was intrigued by it.  This “Spy Camera” was my first LC-A camera from Lomography. I have always been interested in photography, but for some reason, I had always struggled with remembering F-stops, apertures, and film speeds. I just didn’t do it consistently enough to concrete those things in my brain. When I got my hands on my first lomo camera, I loved the simplicity of it.  All I had to do was remember four distance settings… and even then, if I forgot to adjust the settings, sometimes I liked those shots even better. I really didn’t use the camera much though for the first year.

photo by Tracy V. Moore
photo by Tracy V. Moore
photo by Tracy V. Moore

Then, one day I happened to take the time to check out the Lomography website and was introduced to an amazing group of analogue enthusiast from all over the world. The site was full of tips and tricks of ways to play with your camera and do amazing things like double exposures, film swaps, light painting, and much much more. All of these new tricks, along with a host of amazing images from my fellow Lomographers to gain inspiration from, turned me into a Lomo fanatic. I now own over three hundred new and used analogue cameras and have shot well over twenty thousand analogue shots. You will never see me anywhere without my journal and at least one of my favourite cameras."

Parallel Planets: Mention three of your favorite things.

Tracy V. Moore: "Cameras. Journals. Mystery."

Parallel Planets: As an artist, what is it that you’ve always wanted to do but have never done yet?

Tracy V. Moore: "Graffiti. I would love to do a large wall of art."

Parallel Planets: What project(s) are you currently working on?

Tracy V. Moore: "My current project is of course my current journal. That is with me at all times and I am constantly working in it at any opportunity I can. I have also recently been remodelling my studio. That project has been taking most of my time this summer. As soon as I’m done with that, I have 12 books designed and started. Each one is a different size, with different focal points on them.  I am super excited to get back to these projects.

illustration by Tracy V. Moore

I also am working on an “emotions” project with Michelle Rae. She sent me self-portrait shots of herself in many different “emotional” states. These shots have gone into my journal and I am illustrating on and around them, “journal style.” I am trying to be true to the project and journal on these pages as my emotions mirror those pictured… which is a completely new and challenging way for me to journal. So far the process, while a bit slow, has been completely enlightening."

Parallel Planets: In this planet that we're thriving in—

What is your power animal?

"The Rhino. I have always been fascinated by these amazing creatures. Throughout my life, anytime things get tough, I envision myself in Rhino-form…head down, powering my way through it."

Who is your alternate ego?

"Tarzan. I grew up watching old Tarzan movies and I always wanted to live in the jungle, and commune with the animals, and be as tough as him."

journal by Tracy V. Moore

Parallel Planets: In an alternate universe where Tracy V. Moore does not exist—

What will your name be?

"Zhand. It was a name I used during a time when I played an MMO.  For a time, it seemed to be the right name for me."

What do you think you would be doing instead?

"In my alternate universe, I would be an engineer of imaginative things.  Why?  Because I like making weird things."

journal by Tracy V. Moore

More from Tracy V. Moore

0 comments:

Post a Comment


Disclaimer: In lieu with Parallel Planets' general aesthetics, almost all images found on this website appear in black & white. Hover on them to view the original versions and click them to see in high resolutions. All media files solely belong to their respective artists, some of which are exclusive for Parallel Planets only. If you wish to use any of these, please contact the author or artist first. Thank you!
 
FacebookInstagramTwitter

info@parallelplanets.com
Posts are hidden on the main page, but everything we published from 2013 to 2015 are still intact. Use the button below to find what you're looking for.