PARALLEL PLANETS
HAS MOVED.



We are now found on parallelplanets.com.


Mikah Manansala: Ever Onward

A Parallel Planets piece by Michelle Rae

Parallel Planets presents Mikah Manansala
in Ever Onward
Story and Interview by Michelle Rae Uy

Mentioned: film photography, Polaroids, and penguins

* * *

Possibly two of the best things about getting involved in the tight-knit analogue photography community are meeting people from different walks of life and making lasting friends; and I have been lucky enough to do both. In fact, it was our mutual love for film (photography) that brought Parisian portrait photographer Mikah Manansala and I together. Well, that and our shared affection for Filipino cuisine... or maybe just food in general, really.

I first met Mikah through Lomography, a lifetime and a half ago. We were both novices then but smitten with the alternative non-conformist (at that time, at least) pursuit that we found ourselves in. Back then, Mikah shot mostly snapshots - of his friends, of his family - with Lomo cameras and slide films, which he would have cross-processed, as was and is the trend in the Lomo community. From there, he quickly progressed to shooting proper mostly outdoor portraits that are as affecting as they are stunning.

photo by Mikah Manansala
photo by Mikah Manansala
photo by Mikah Manansala
photo by Mikah Manansala

I met him in person for the first time this year in New York City of all places, where we were both, luckily enough, vacationing at the same time. We hadn't really talked online much for a long time since I quit Lomography temporarily so it was like meeting up with an old friend. He was the same old friendly Mikah, the way I knew him from our chats, and still easily excitable especially when he comes upon a good subject to photograph; yet somehow, he was different – calmer, perhaps, more evolved as an artist, and definitely more confident with his photography. 

And it’s not surprising. I knew for a fact that once he got hooked on film photography, he dived head on and never looked back. He has dedicated his time in his craft, learning and relearning techniques, experimenting with different cameras and films, practicing and practicing until he’s perfected it - unrelenting and ever onward.

He has since steadied his footing and found his photography voice. He now mostly shoots with Instant and medium format films using the Hasselblad and the vintage Polaroid cameras that he has in his arsenal. He has also taken his talents into the studio, advancing towards the mastering the use studio lighting for his portraits. 

photo by Mikah Manansala
photo by Mikah Manansala
photo by Mikah Manansala
Additionally, he now has a simpler approach to his photos, often using plain white or black backgrounds so as to draw more attention to the details about his subjects – their eyes, their expressions, even their clothing. While he’s still shooting expressive outdoor portraits, this newly adapted method of his is fast becoming his trademark.

photo by Mikah Manansala
photo by Mikah Manansala
photo by Mikah Manansala
photo by Mikah Manansala
Mikah and I still keep in touch, with me back in Los Angeles and him back in Paris. These days, he is hard at work in Nation Photo, a photographic service and store there, and because of that, he has slowed down a bit with his personal work. His growth as a photographer, however, hasn’t at all decelerated. I have no doubt that the next time we meet again in person, he would still be advancing, moving forward.

See what Mikah Manansala has to say after the jump.

* * *

Parallel Planets: Tell something about Mikah Manansala as an analogue photographer and before he became one.

Mikah Manansala: "Originally, I'm a sound engineer/musician specialized in sound design. As of today, I work in a photography lab and also as a photographer. You could say that my every day revolves around photography and mostly analogue photography."

Parallel Planets: When/How did your inclination with photography begin?

Mikah Manansala: "Well, as I said above, I'm originally a sound engineer. I've never really had been introduced to photography (digital or analogue)... sure when I was a kid, I shot the occasional summer disposable camera, but it never really was a big interest. 


When I first moved to Paris to work as a sound engineer a few years back, a friend of mine gifted me with a toy camera, the Diana F+, a plastic medium format camera. She (a professional photographer) explained to me the basics, and after I few rolls through it, I got hooked. A hobby that quickly became a passion."

Parallel Planets: Why photography?

Mikah Manansala: "Well, there are many reasons why. I've always been passionate about things I take upon. A whole new world was opening, and I couldn't see its limitations. The possibility to congeal things on film. Being able to choose and control every aspect of a captured moment, even though often unexpected things turn out into fantastic results."

Parallel Planets: What defines your artistic style? What are your “trademarks”?

Mikah Manansala: "Hum... I wouldn't really be able to define my 'artistic style'. I guess it's mostly because I use film on all kinds of formats."

Parallel Planets: What made you decide to take your talents to the studio?

Mikah Manansala: "There was no real decision taken. I simply had the opportunity to discover the usage of a studio, the possibility to control light with synchronized flashes. The absence of a complex background also became something that I've learned to appreciate."

Parallel Planets: What influences your work? Who inspires you?

Mikah Manansala: "People around me, stuff I see on all kinds of media (magazines, internet), life in general. Inspiration is everywhere, you just need to see it."

Parallel Planets: What’s your favorite film and camera to work with?

Mikah Manansala: "I have several favorite films. Slide would be Fuji Velvia 50. Negative would be the old Portra 160 NC and for BW the always faithfull Kodak Tri-X 400. My favorite cameras are the Hasselblad 500 CM, Pentax 6x7, Polaroid SX-70, and Polaroid 180."

Parallel Planets: What is your mantra in life?

Mikah Manansala: "Appreciate every single moment even the most simple ones."

Parallel Planets: Aside from photography, do you have any other creative pursuits? Tell me about them.

Mikah Manansala: "I hope someday to work again in the sound designing industry. Especially in the video game industry."

Parallel Planets: Mention three of your favorite things.

Mikah Manansala: "Butterfingers, spending quality time with loved ones, and getting my geek on with friends."

Parallel Planets: Tell us about your alter ego, mikahsupageek.

Mikah Manansala: "Well, the alter ego kinda speaks for itself. Always been, always will be. Geek power forever!"

Parallel Planets: What project(s) are you currently working on?

Mikah Manansala: "New film processing technics and large format photography."

Parallel Planets: In this planet that we're thriving in

What is your power animal?

"The penguin. I once dreamt I was a penguin, swimming super fast, then jumped onto an ice bank, slid on my belly, then sommersaulted off an ice ramp back into the water. BEST DREAM EVER!!!"

Who is your alternate ego?

"Tony Stark. Iron Man rules!!!"

Parallel Planets: In an alternate universe where film photography does not exist—

What will your name be?

"Téo. I don't have a second name. I guess Téo would have been a cool one to have."

What do you think you would be doing instead?

"A professionnal sky diver. Cause it'd be awesome!"
photo by Mikah Manansala

More from Mikah Manansala

0 comments:

Post a Comment


Disclaimer: In lieu with Parallel Planets' general aesthetics, almost all images found on this website appear in black & white. Hover on them to view the original versions and click them to see in high resolutions. All media files solely belong to their respective artists, some of which are exclusive for Parallel Planets only. If you wish to use any of these, please contact the author or artist first. Thank you!
 
FacebookInstagramTwitter

info@parallelplanets.com
Posts are hidden on the main page, but everything we published from 2013 to 2015 are still intact. Use the button below to find what you're looking for.