PARALLEL PLANETS
HAS MOVED.



We are now found on parallelplanets.com.


Mang: Shifting Roles and Translating Dreams

A Parallel Planets piece by Unknown

  Parallel Planets presents Mang
in Shifting Roles and Translating Dreams
Story by Mayee Gonzales and Interview by Erin Emocling

Mentioned: Photography as an expression, reaching out to an audience, and working alone

* * * 

In this universe full of characters, people shift roles to live and entertain. It begins with finding what you want to do and eventually swinging into another place that pleasures and aggravates the being inside of yourself. This shift could be inexplicable, unexpected, and even absurd – but it’s a shift that turns one person around for the sake of art and audience.

Then we meet Zhao Bing Bin, or more widely known as Mang. An artist based in China whose photographic work instantly caught our eyes. Eccentric and original, Mang’s conceptual photography is a portfolio of creativity translated into visually enticing pieces.  Educated in the field of theatre, it is amusing how Mang shifted from acting to photography. It may be a probable occurrence but it remains fascinating as how Mang, from the spotlight to behind the lens, reaches out to an audience who she desires to share a mutual correlation with.

From her daylight visions to her midnight dreams, Mang’s photography is something people can easily take interest in but not simply digest. Her self-portraits are hazy hints of her personality and how she appears to be – a unique enigma that stays true to the satisfaction she aspires to achieve. Aside from her geometric and even blood-stained portraits, Mang also dabbles on a lot of conceptual photography which according to her is usually based on her meticulous observations. A day-to-day look at the world around her is translated into exceptional photographs that juggles the mind of the ordinary and enthralls the senses of the engrossed.

photo by Mang

photo by Mang

Figures, props, and facial expressions will grab ones attention once Mang’s photographs are met. Her work isn’t hard to identify since it strikes right across your face like a combat zooming upon, ready to take land and conquer. Usually, Mang's photography subjects are muses garbed in contrasting colors and sometimes, when the occasion calls, none. A varied approach on her shots are also evident through her use of mundane objects one can found lying in an ordinary display – simple objects that are put with meaning once photographed by Mang's shutterbug fingers.

Mang's name may still be new to some but with her distinct style and forward approach to the art of photography, this femme is gradually making her own name in the field. Take for example her recent exposure in Spazzkid's (also one of P||P's contributors) cover for full-length album Desire wherein Mang's portrait was used by the Filipino and Los Angeles based musician. Quite the online buzz even if Mang admits that she isn't in for the fame or notoriety but instead the chance of living a simple life full of ingenuity and newfound ideas.

With this, Parallel Planets is fortunate to have the opportunity of sneaking into the world Mang lives in. Let us take the time of knowing more about this lady – from her photography beginnings, to her inspirations and aspirations, and to even “illogical giraffes” that she has found much liking in, read on this interview we’ve prepared below.

photo by Mang


photo by Mang

photo by Mang

* * *

Parallel Planets: Hello, Mang! How are you? What were you doing before this interview?

Mang: "I was just out to lunch with my friend. We had some wine. I am feeling a bit tipsy now and so a perfect time to do an interview."

Parallel Planets: Tell something about yourself as a photographer and before you became one.

Mang: "Actually, for the record, I am more of an actress/model who is also a photographer. I studied the dramatic arts for a decade before I ever picked up a camera. So, I am really a professional actor who later picked up photography. I like to wear different hats when engaging with the world around me. Often in my world, I play many different roles, and this is evident both in my life and through my work. There is a playful nature to this role-play in life that I never get tired of and I am transfixed by each emanation, each facet of myself that emerges from it. They are each alive in their own way, authentic and unique. Thus, I get to appreciate the diversity of life and, naturally, this often is exhibited in my work."

Parallel Planets: When and how did your inclination with photography begin?

Mang: "I first came in contact with photography in elementary school. My family happened to own an old-fashioned SLR camera, and for some unknown reason, I enrolled in a photography enthusiast class. After that course, I didn’t come in contact with a camera for a long time. I wasn’t into photography then. It wasn’t until college, when out of the blue, I asked my father to buy me a digital SLR camera. That was the first camera I owned and I loved it so much I began playing around and making discoveries. And so I learned all about photography, without any formal training whatsoever. And it was through this play that I found a strong interest in the medium that I still have today."

Parallel Planets: What defines your artistic style? What are your “trademarks”?

Mang: "I am not sure if my understanding of the term is the same for others, but I hope my photography and works will be understood as 'conceptual photography.'"

photo by Mang

Parallel Planets: What influences your work? Who inspires you?

Mang: "When I first started, I knew nothing about photography. I had no idea where to get information nor had I even really seen other artist’s photography before. And so it was in this enclosed universe that I shot for a long time. Then one day I saw Cindy Sherman’s work. I was in awe to see photographs like hers and that photography could reach such heights of expression. After that, I started looking at books on the great masters of medium, and they opened up so many doors for me. From then on, I had a stronger sense of my direction with photography. I also am a huge fan of Jan Saudek, his works have been a great source of inspiration and incentive."

Parallel Planets: Your concepts on photography, more specifically your self-portraits, are exceptional. How do you come up with new ideas?

Mang: "My work is often inspired by observation of life around me, myself, and even my dreams. I like to watch people on the street and notice how unique they are. Through careful observation, one can see many differences and interesting details. I choose to observe myself, because I feel there is no one that knows me better than I do. I love paying attention to my every, even slightest change and committing them to memory. The ME presented in my works is most often a character, someone else or a version of me that I discovered in my observations, which I then play for that particular piece. As for dreams, I am happy to say that I dream a lot. I get lots of inspiration from my dreams. Sometimes it is just a phrase or some vague structure of sorts, but it is enough to go on."

photo by Mang

photo by Mang
Parallel Planets: What camera(s) and equipment/gear do you usually use?

Mang: "When I do self-portraits, I use a Canon EOS 5D Mark II. I also use film cameras when I want to shoot a photo of some particular scene or someone else’s portraits."

Parallel Planets: I discovered your work through Spazzkid’s Desire album. Did you ever expect that it’s going to be that big and iconic – I mean, your photo is all over the internet and a lot of “imitations” from Spazzkid’s fans and followers have been made in honor of your portrait? (I still think it’s very cute, though!)

Mang: "Thank you for telling me this. Otherwise, I would not know Spazzkid had brought me so much good fortune, like this interview, for instance."

Parallel Planets: Still in terms of photography, what is your most treasured achievement so far? Anything specific that you would like to accomplish in the future?

Mang: "I don’t care [about] fame or notoriety. Honestly, I don’t want to be famous. I like a simple and pure life. I work alone. Even though sometimes my projects get rather complicated, I don’t have assistants, and I am always hopeful that I can accomplish it. So far, I have not been let down! I do enjoy being alone with my work, without interruptions. That being said, I do hope my works can get more recognition and make a greater connection with audiences increasing mutual understanding. I was probably born this way, and so I feel fortunate to have developed a mature and relaxed mind, a mind that in the face of the bustling big city can still remain calm and collected, one that can face the public and stand firm in the face of others opinions. In the future, I hope I can keep the child within my heart alive and well and maintain my calm piece of mind."

Parallel Planets: What is your mantra or motto in life?

Mang: "See the world through my heart and not my eyes."

Parallel Planets: Aside from photography, what other creative pursuits are you interested in? Tell us more about the other side of Mang.

Mang: "I actually really like the art of painting. Unfortunately I never learned how to paint, not even basic skills. I can only paint abstract random graffiti that looks like a child's painting. However, I do paint often. And music too, when I was in school I wanted to be in a band. I was particularly fond of Goth music then. I wanted to create a Chinese Gothic band. I play the guitar a little bit and my piano stills are pretty good. Also, I like handicrafts. I did some craft art using clay and wool. I like anything that I can use my imagination for, as long as it's fun and fresh, then I'm willing to try it."

photo by Mang
Parallel Planets: Mention three of your favorite things in the world.

Mang: "Color, paper, dogs."

Parallel Planets: Do you have any weird habits? Strange desires? Unlikely fetishes? Surprise us.

Mang: "I am something of a masochist and occasionally have persecutory delusions. I sometimes
fantasize about things that don’t exist in order to hurt myself, and now and then I am convinced they
are real."

Parallel Planets: What projects are you currently working on?

Mang: "I'm on a solo vacation just now. I recently broke off my engagement and I am now a happy bachelorette enjoying my freedom. I will carry on next year with my creative work."

Parallel Planets: In this planet that we’re thriving in–

What is your power animal?

Mang: "Giraffes, because they seem particularly illogical, they make ​​me happy when I see them."

Who is your alternate ego?

"There are too many. Every day, when I wake up I discover a new one, one that has a different identity and personality, as well as a name even."

Parallel Planets: In an alternate universe where photography does not exist–

What would your name be?

"I wish I had no name. Then no one could call out my name."

What would you be doing instead?

"I think I would be a fortune teller, or a shaman. I like these weird and mysterious characters."

photo by Mang
More from Mang

0 comments:

Post a Comment


Disclaimer: In lieu with Parallel Planets' general aesthetics, almost all images found on this website appear in black & white. Hover on them to view the original versions and click them to see in high resolutions. All media files solely belong to their respective artists, some of which are exclusive for Parallel Planets only. If you wish to use any of these, please contact the author or artist first. Thank you!
 
FacebookInstagramTwitter

info@parallelplanets.com
Posts are hidden on the main page, but everything we published from 2013 to 2015 are still intact. Use the button below to find what you're looking for.