PARALLEL PLANETS
HAS MOVED.



We are now found on parallelplanets.com.


Filmer Hands: No Obligations

A Parallel Planets piece by Unknown
Even in this modern age, skateboarding will always be seen as reckless, punk, and violent. The clichés and the narrow-mindedness when it comes to this form of art will always be tough to disregard despite the extensive culture that has been celebrated all around the world.

Opinions, whether subjective or objective, will continue to grow yet it won’t stop skate parks and skate shops from popping up every now and then. Skateboarding is a culture, sure it’s a mode of transportation too, and it will never stop thriving in whatever age or state we are in.

I’ve tried skateboarding before and admit that it’s no easy feat. Stepping into that board, getting a grip into your feet, and cruising (or magically, for beginners, doing a trick) requires utmost caution especially for the faint at heart. Skateboarding is not for pussies. It’s something you can do only if you’re ready to fall, get hurt, and in a city where parks are only meant for picnics, get caught.

The intense passion and effort one gives for the sole reason of riding with extreme freedom and bliss is something to recognize. Others may see the sport as just another reason to be cool but for a greater audience, skateboarding is an expression of a kind. It’s where people find home, simple with just a pair of shoes, a good old trusty board, and a great set of friends to ride with.

Until we met a group of skateboarders called Filmer Hands. Coming from California, Filmer Hands was founded by Zack Lopez whose interest is directed into the arts. Formed around a year ago, Filmer Hands’ main objective is to hang, skate, and film the group’s session as documentary to the skate culture they are in. Young, and at times careless, the group who started small eventually expanded into a bigger number with members coming from different parts of the USA.

Filmer Hands usually shoots at night where streets are less busy and cops are done with their donuts, slowly relaxing into the evening. It’s hours like these when Zack and his friends can cruise freely and Ollie on ramps without any care. Not to forget the agenda of capturing these tricks into cinematic frames, distinct and pleasing to the eyes.

Once contented with their night ride as shot into video, Zack meticulously stitches the clips into a short movie which is posted into the group’s Youtube site. This has brought Filmer Hands to a larger audience not only in California but also in other parts of the world.

Skating and filming both at the same time may sound easy but its coordination and technicality isn’t a piece of red velvet cake. From getting ticketed to being (slightly) hurt, we interviewed Zack for a better understanding of Filmer Hands’ beginning and work. It’s an interview from a thousand miles away and we’re glad to share it with you. Read all about it and watch Filmer Hands’ amazing videos below.


Hi, Zack! Can you please tell us about Filmer Hands? How and when did this group start?

Hi! So I started filmerhands a little over a year ago. My friends and I just wanted to bring together smooth stylish skating and filming, something we could control and make our own. 

Did you really intend to incorporate filming with skating? Why?

Filmerhands main drive has always been skating; it’s what brought us all together. I started filming skating in highschool, but had to sell my camera around 5 years ago.

During the last few years I would see friends progress through their skating but no one up to par has captured it the way I felt needed. So in December of 2013 with the last of my money I decided to go on craigslist and find a new camera which turned into finding two cameras for a crazy good deal.

How is the skate community in Southern California?

The skate community in California, let alone Southern California is HUGE. The weather is mild all year round so progression never stops. I mean this is where it all started, I’ve met so many skaters that moved out here to pursue their dream.

How many members are there in Filmer Hands? 

Right now the core group is only about 10 people deep, but we have a lot of homies down for the cause. It’s just hard to film with some of the guys because Southern California is pretty big and we’re all pretty spread out.



How do you guys get together? Do you plan it or just hang spontaneously?

Half of us has been friends for over 5 years and I’ve met a lot of people this past year by just being out skating, filming, hanging out at the skate park or just doing whatever. I mainly film with two people and we usually film any chance we get. Skating is pretty much all we do. With the other guys that live a little farther, we try to plan some stuff out [in advance] but usually we’ll plan it out the night before. Lol

Do you ever get in trouble skating and filming?

Because it’s hard to skate some spots during the day – due to businesses being open, traffic, pedestrians, security, the sun being too hot, parking and everything else, we usually end up skating at night. A few of the guys I film with are 17 (and they look 17) so we’ve been stopped and kicked by security a few times because of that. We don’t really have too many problems with the law; they usually have better things to do than hassle us anyway.

But I should add that I do have two bench warrants that I was blessed with because of skating. I was given a ticket for “being in a park after hours” in Glendale and completely forgot about court back in June. The other ticket I got was for “reckless operation of a skateboard” in New York City on a national monument and since I was just visiting I couldn’t make the court date in January. What sucks about both of those tickets is that we weren’t even skating when the cops showed up! In Glendale we were just walking through but since I was with my underage friends they sat us down for two hours and since I was “the adult” they felt it was necessary to give me a ticket.

Saw your videos and I must say they’re pretty neat. Do you mind if I ask what camera/s and lenses you use?

Thanks! I need to finish editing some more. I’ve been sitting on a lot of footage lately. I film with a Panasonic DVX-100a, a standard definition camera, and use a MK2 Fisheye for my lens. Nothing special but something about standard def and skating just makes sense.

Who usually shoots and edits the videos?

I pretty much do all the filming and editing. Sometimes I’ll get help, which is always appreciated, but most of the time it’s just me. I am always trying to involve other friends who also films but everyone has their own projects and a lot of us live really spead out from one another.

Any major accidents you guys got because of skating and filming at the same time?

Nothing major from skating and filming at the same time – sometimes I’ll fall, sometimes a board will hit the lens, sometimes a board will break the lens, close calls with cars or boards to the face, but that’s what make skating fun.


Please tell us something about Filmer Hands’ merchandise design.

So during and after high school, I have done a little silkscreen printing as well as graphic design and I was lucky enough to have been given some screen print supplies from a friend who was moving. So I’ve just been trying to put it to use and also get our name out there.

I designed one graphic (a friend did the other) and I print everything myself. We will hopefully be putting a new graphic out in the next month or two.

Filmer Hands’ latest video “3 Four Lokos” is the most extreme I’ve watched so far. How is it based on a true story? Please tell us more about this.

Haha! 3 Four Lokos was a bunch of footage I never used for a night back in summer. Like I said, I’ve been sitting on A LOT of material. It was just me and a few friends roaming the streets of DTLA from 12am to 3am, breaking TVs, skating empty parking garages, holding onto cars.

What’s next for Filmer Hands? What should we look forward to?

Well, if I ever get to it, hopefully some more edits! I have some stuff I filmed on trips to San Francisco and New York City as well as LA.

What we’ve really been working on secretly is our first full length video. We’re actually in the last few months of filming and I hope to premiere it sometime in March. It will mainly be featuring full parts from Cyril Palmer and Christian Momdjian, as well as smaller parts from other friends we;ve had the opportunity to skate with throughout the last year.









From skating to shooting, to spreading the passion all around. No doubt, Filmer Hands is up to no obligations because it's all about having a good time with their skateboards, cameras, and friends.

See more of Filmer Hands on their Instagram and Youtube pages.

0 comments:

Post a Comment


Disclaimer: In lieu with Parallel Planets' general aesthetics, almost all images found on this website appear in black & white. Hover on them to view the original versions and click them to see in high resolutions. All media files solely belong to their respective artists, some of which are exclusive for Parallel Planets only. If you wish to use any of these, please contact the author or artist first. Thank you!
 
FacebookInstagramTwitter

info@parallelplanets.com
Posts are hidden on the main page, but everything we published from 2013 to 2015 are still intact. Use the button below to find what you're looking for.